Monday 14 January 2013

Hi!

I'm a big fan of the new(ish) C++11 standard. It's not that I think it patches the problems with previous C++ standards: it's still more than possible to leak memory, construct truly horrible deadlock scenarios and accidentally take a copy of vast amounts of data. The difference is that it enables and encourages a way of writing C++ code that dramatically reduces the likelihood of you encountering the above situations. Please don't believe me, there's lots written on this subject by people far more intelligent than me and I hope you have the time to check it out.

I was inspired to have a go at writing this technical blog by the sheer number of surprising things that crop up when I'm watching the experts discuss the new headline C++11 features. I'm talking mostly about the types added to the standard library, some of which are incredibly feature rich and expressive and have received almost no coverage online. Also, there is a distinct paucity of examples that I might be able to begin to address here.

So that's it. I'm going to give it a go. At some point, sooner or later, I will run out of things that surprise me in C++11 and then I'll just stop. Until then, I hope these posts are of at least some small utility to some of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment